Sunday, October 21, 2012

Tutorial: How to Make Custom Necklace Cords From Memory Thread

I love pendants.  Oh boy, how do I love pendants.  But I get kind of bored hanging them on the usual plain chain or black cord.  When I found a really cool set of six eyeball wine glass charms for 60% off at my local Joann Fabrics, I knew I wanted to turn them into cool Halloween themed necklaces.  But I couldn't find any cord that was cool enough to make the eyeballs really pop.  So I set out to look for different kinds of thread that I could use to make a resilient, custom multi-colored necklace cord for these pendants.

I ended up picking up two different kinds of stringing material to make my custom cords.  The first is something called DMC Color Infusions Memory Thread.  I found it in the embroidery isle.  It comes in about two dozen different colors, so I had some good Halloween-y choices.  The Memory Thread is significantly stiffer than regular embroidery thread, but it seemed to have enough give to actually create a decent necklace cord.  It is thin, so I knew I would need to twist multiple strands to create a thicker cord, and that is where the wire base of the Memory Thread really comes in handy.  You can find all the different colors of Memory Thread for purchase at 123 Stitch.

The other stringing material I picked up was some regular rat-tail satin cord.  This cord is thicker, but came in less color choices on the spool at Joanns.  (However, if I wanted to get lengths of the "by the yard" rattail satin there were more choices.)  Additionally, in order to combine colors it would need some extra treatment as it would not hold the "twist" as well as the wired Memory Thread.  I'll cover the process I used to combine the colors of satin cord in my next entry.  : )

The Memory Thread custom cord was really easy to make.  In order to make a custom necklace cord from Memory Thread you will need:

- DMC Memory Thread in at least three colors.
- Scissors.  They should be sharp enough to cut through the memory thread.  You could also use wire cutters, but my craft scissors worked just fine.
- Flat or chain nose pliers.  For folding over the end crimps, and opening / closing jump rings.
- Pendant.  For stringing.  : )
- Glue (optional).  For securing the ends of the threads into end crimps.  I pretty much swear by Liquid Urethane or FabriTac.
- Two end crimps in the style of your choosing.  I used fold over end crimps as that is what I had on hand.
- Jump Rings.  You will need two if you are just adding the clasp to the crimp ends, grab an additional two jump rings if you want to add your pendant to the cord with jump rings.
- Necklace Closure.  Your choice!  Toggle clasp, spring ring, magnetic ends, lobster claw... the list is endless!

To start, the pendant I wanted to string had a fairly large loop at the top.  I wanted a thick-ish cord so I started off with five Halloween themed colors.  If you are working with a small loop on your pendant you can use fewer threads, but I don't recommend going under three.  If you want fewer colors but a thick cord, you can always cut two lengths of the same color (i.e. two green and two black for a black and green twist.)

Halloween themed Memory Thread colors.
I like my necklaces to fall just underneath my collar bone, which is about 16'' in length.  I cut 18'' of each cord color, leaving some wiggle room for errors and the shrink that can occur when you twist cords.  You can customize the length to suit your preferences, but remember to add at least two extra inches for the "shrink" that will be caused by twisting the fibers together.  Remember, you can always cut your finished cord shorter if need but, but too short is too short forever.  : )  Well, not really.  You can always add an extender chain if your finished necklace cord is a little snug or doesn't fall where you want it to  : )

Cut lengths of Memory Thread.
Once I had my individual lengths of Memory Thread cut, it was time to start combining them.  I had some crimp ends on hand from previous projects, and decided to use those to secure the necklace ends.  I added a dab of glue to the inside of the crimp end, lined up all the ends of the threads, then placed them inside the crimp.
Thread ends in crimp.
Then, I used my pliers to fold one side of the crimp down, securing the threads.  I did notices that the one thread on the very end liked to pop out, so it is extra important to hold it in place while folding down the other side of the crimp.  If you don't like the way that the ends are set in the crimp once the edges are folded you can always trim off the crimp and start again.  I ended up doing that once before I was really happy with the way my necklace threads were secured.

Folding the crimp down to secure the Memory Thread strands.

Once the ends were secure, I began twisting the colors together to create a colorful rope of sorts.  It was easy, I just grasped the thread a few inches from the crimp, then grasped the crimp and twisted until I liked the "tightness" of the coils.  Then I moved down a few more inches and started again.  Working a few inches at a time kept the coils tight and uniform.

Twisting the Memory Threads together.
 Once I had just about an inch to half an inch left on the cords, I stopped twisting.

End of the twisted cord. 
At this point, it was time to add the glass eye I took off of the wineglass charm. The crimp ends were too large to go through the loop at the top of the eye, so it needed to be added before finishing the cord. Check and see if your crimp end will go through the loop, bail, or ring on your pendant. If not, you may want to consider adding your charm before finishing the cord. If you finished your cord and find that your pendant will not fit, never fear! You can always add a set of two jump rings to hang your pendant. Use one large jump ring to go over the cord, and one small jump ring to connect the large jump ring and your pendant.

Adding the charm to the necklace cord before finishing the end.
Once the charm is added, trim the remaining Memory Thread ends to about a quarter of an inch.  try to make the ends as even as possible so nothing will stick out of the top of your crimp.

Evened ends ready for finishing.
 Once the ends are evened, you can add a spot of glue to the inside of the final crimp, and use the crimp to secure the necklace end.

Finishing the necklace end with a crimp.
Once the necklace end is finished, you can add the clasp of your choice with jump rings.  Woohoo!  you now have a fun, custom, funky colored necklace cord for you pendant.  Much better than plain black, right?

Finished cord with glass eye pendant.
I am really happy with my custom cord for my glass eye necklace.  Best of luck making your new custom cords with Memory Thread, and I'll catch you next time with a how-to on using rat-tail satin cord to create custom twist necklace cords!

No comments:

Post a Comment